State Writing Conference & Convention
Hosted by District 3
Oct. 13, 14 & 15, 2017
Sleep Inn, 200 W. 11th St., Coffeyville, KS
Early registration until September 16th: $90.00
Late registration after September 16th: $125.00
Saturday, speakers only: $50.00
Saturday, including lunch meal: $60.00
Saturday, including lunch & banquet: $75.00
Friday Only: Free
Sunday, speakers only: $30.00
Sunday, speakers & lunch: $45.00
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS @ BANQUET:
Michael & D.A.Frizell
Featuring brothers who wrote and illustrated The Graphic Novel Bender: Vol. One, the true story of the Labette County Bender family and murder on the Kansas Plains. Michael Frizell has written over 20 Graphic Novels, among them Tribute to Carrie Fisher, Tribute To Prince & Tribute to David Bowie. Michael is an educator, writer & has performed in over theater productions. David Frizell is a graphic artist and has designed album covers for Avenged Sevenfold, Sevendust, Wednesday 13 & many others. He has illustrated music CDs, DVDs & animated music video backgrounds. His portfolio includes traditional ink, digital art, mixed media & sculpture.
SUNDAY LUNCHEON SPEAKER:
Kevin Olson "Learning To Live With It"
Paralyzed at 19 from a diving accident, Kevin's book, Learning To Live With It, is the story of his life, his struggle to accept and rise above the conditionwith which his ill-fated accident left him. As an inspiration to all writers, Kevin typed his manuscript one letter at a time using a mouthpiece. With his hopes and dreams shattered, the story of Learning To Live With It is inspiring and motivational. Kevin's motto has become, "Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are and don't worry about the rest."
WORKSHOP SPEAKERS & TOPICS:
The Art of Writing Horror
|Crafting Short Films
Michael & David Frizel
|The Bender Story: Vol. One
#1 Best Selling Author's Guide to Outlining Novels
|Pitching Your Book to Agents & Editors
|Alliteration: A Poetic Device
Marketing for Social Media: How to Make the Most of Social Media Marketing (laptops recommended)
|The Art of Writing Memoirs for future generations
Denise Low &
Tom Pecord Weso
|Memory To Memoir in Poetry or Prose
Writing for Children
Rewriting Trauma Without Too Much Drama
|Let's Get Digital: Building Your Brand Through Social Media & Online Video
Building Your Author's Page & Visualizing Words: How They Impact Our Thinking
|Grab Your Shovels & Your Pen: Digging Into History
Lisa Waterman Gray
|An Explorer's Guide to Travel Writing
Friday night is a FREE night for registered guests,
and there is a lot going on:
- At 7:00 pm, Pete Walterscheid will entertain everyone with a magic show (see Magic by Pete, "Stage Magician of Year Contest" Jan, 2015). Pete has entertained at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, CA. He was honored by winning First Runner Up for Stand-Up magicians in January 2017. He certainly is an entertainer that you will want to see.
- At 8:00 pm, James Moore a busvlogger,(see video), will be our speaker. He will inform us on video blogging. His motto seems to be "Life is what you make it. Let's get our hands dirty."Maybe he'll even tell us about hunting inside bears' dens.
- To end the evening we will have a Read Around.Each speaker will have five minutes to read from their book(s) or tell something about their book(s). Joyce Long, president of District Three, also wants to introduce you to her puppet, Zortz.
Please plan to come to the convention early enough to enjoy Friday evening!
FRIDAY, OCT 12
5:00-7:00 Registration in Lobby
7:00 Welcome from D 3 President, Joyce Long
7:00-8:00 Magic Show by award winning magician Pete Walterscheid
8:00-9:00 Special Presentation by James Moore, the Busvlogger
9:00-10:00 Read Aloud by signup
SATURDAY OCT 14
8:00 Registration in Lobby
8:00-9:00 KAC Board Meeting in Banquet Room
9:30-12:20 Scavenger Hunt
1. 2nd Floor Room 218: Joyce Long: The Art of Writing Memoirs
for future generations
2. 2nd Floor Room 220: William Karnowski: Alliteration: A Poetic
3. Banquet Room: Cherilyn Hearn: Using #1 Best Selling Author's
Guide To Outlining Novels
1. 2nd Floor Room 218: Lisa Waterman Gray: An Explorer's Guide
To Travel Writing
2. 2nd Floor Room 220: Perry Shepard: Building your Author's Page &
Visualizing Words: How They Impact Our Thinking
3. Banquet Room: James Moore: Let's Get Digital: Building Your
Brand Through Social Media & Online Video
1. 2nd Floor Room 218: Lynn Caldwell: The Art of Writing Horror
2. 2nd Floor Room 220: Bryan Colley: Crafting Short Films
3. Banquet Room: Michael & David Frizell: The Bender Story: Vol. One
12:20 -1:30 INFORMAL LUNCH IN BANQUET ROOM
Speaker: Joyce Long & Zortz: Color me Colored
1. 2nd Floor Room 218:Cherilyn Hearn: Pitching Your Book To
Agents & Editors
2. 2nd Floor Room 220: Denise Low & Tom Pecore Weso:
Memory To Memoir in Poetry Or Prose
3. BANQUET ROOM: Darcy Leech: Marketing for Social Media: How To
2:00 YOUTH AWARDS GALA
2:00-2:40 Hands-On Magic Trick Secrets for Youth Awards Kids & Families
by award winning, Master Magician Pete Walterscheid
2:45-3:25 " Putting Poetry To Pictures" with Perry Shepard
Perry will read selected poems from the "2016 KAC Youth Writing and
Poetry Award Winners" book and kids & families will create their own
art to go along with the poems.
3:30-4:30 Youth Awards Presentations
4:30--5:30 LOBBY: RECEPTION & REFRESHMENTS FOR YOUTH AWARDS WINNERS
Winners & their families are invited to attend this special reception.
Photo Ops for all winning age groups & categories
Book Signings for the "2017 Youth Writing Contest & Karnowski Poetry
Award Winners" book
7:00-9:00 BANQUET, AWARDS & KEYNOTE SPEAKER
1. Keynote Speaker: Michael & David Frizell: "The Bender Story Vol. 1"
9:00-10:00 Non-scheduled Read Aloud
SUNDAY OCT 15, 2017
8:00-8:30 Church Service: Rev. Louie Celaya officiating
8:30-8:45 Rosemary Time
8:45--9:45 Flag Ceremony by Joyce & Marvin Long
General Business Meeting - all KAC members encouraged to attend
1. 2nd Floor Room 218: Lori Martin: Writing for Children
2. 2nd Floor Room 220: Andy Taylor: Grab Your Shovels &
Your Pen: Digging Into History
3. BANQUET ROOM : Ronda Miller: Rewriting Trauma Without Too
Speaker: Kevin Olson: "Learning To Live With It"
Invitation to the 2018 KAC Convention hosted by D4
The KAC Convention hosted by District Three in Coffeyville was a huge success. I received many positive comments.
Our speakers were great! James Moore had technical trouble, but his speech was one of encouragement. Set a goal and stay with it, if it is only one small step at a time. That is certainly something we can all do and benefit from. Michael and David Frizel overwhelmed everyone with their enthusiasm for their subject the Benders and for writing in general. We can all hope some of their enthusiasm rubbed off on all of us. Kevin Olson got a standing ovation with his motivational speech on doing your best with what you have. Reverend Louie Celaya gave an outstanding message on comparing the Bible, the divine Word of God, to literature which was the bases of our convention. Thank you, Gentlemen, for an outstanding job, well done.
The only workshop I attended was the one I gave, but I have heard some very positive comments about the workshops and that they were will worth attending. Thank you presenters for doing a great job as you were the foundation of the convention.
A big THANK YOU goes to our state officers and authors in general. We thank you for driving so far and helping to have a successful convention.
District Three was out in full force and everyone was busy helping to make our convention a success. Thank you very much for a job well done.— Joyce Long,
District 3 President